[postgis-devel] DOI for the PostGIS project / Springer Handbook of Geoinformatics

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Wed Jan 19 12:08:50 PST 2022

Updates:

- DOI for the 3.2.0 release generated:
https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.5879632
- the 'persistent' DOI, that we can use for the fancy badge icon, and
other marketing, as it won't change for each version, is:
https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.5879631

In the short-term this should help Peter and other researchers cite (and
promote) PostGIS in their publications (the more free publicity for
PostGIS the better, ha)

Thanks,

-jeff

On 2022-01-13 2:01 p.m., Jeff McKenna wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> I already do a lot of manual things for projects each release, so I
> volunteer to tackle this for PostGIS - although I may not be considered
> as part of the PostGIS dev team, I think of myself as one ha, and I've
> been actively a part of promoting, teaching, and helping PostGIS users
> in the web mapping space for decades, that it would be an honour to help
> the PostGIS project this (small) way.
>
> Unless I hear screams, I will set this up tomorrow.
>
> -jeff
>

> On 2022-01-13 1:33 p.m., Peter Löwe wrote:
>> Dear PostGIS developers,
>>
>> I'm reaching out to you because of an opportunity for the PostGIS
>> community, which surfaced recently:
>> The upcoming second edition of the Springer Handbook of Geoinformatics
>> will cover the PostGIS project. The Handbook project has been delayed
>> due to the Pandemic, but will be completed in a few weeks. I am
>> serving as the editor of the Handbook chapter about Open Source
>> Geoinformatics. The authors and editors for the Handbook project work
>> without financial compensation by Springer and will not benefit from
>> the number of volumes sold.
>> The Open Source chapter aims to expose audiences, which still might
>> believe that only facts are relevant when stated in cost intense non
>> open access publications, to open source, open access, and open science.
>>
>> Recently, new workflows for scientific citation of software projects
>> have emerged and are becoming state of the art. This includes
>> references by persistent digital object identifiers (DOI) to software
>> projects instead of URLs. DOI-based references allow to give due
>> credit to the whole project team, including first authors, developers,
>> but also maintainers and people in other roles.
>>
>> Several OSGeo projects including GRASS GIS, GMT, MapServer, MOSS and
>> rasdaman have already registered their own DOI, QGIS, GeoServer,
>> GeoTools, GeoPython,
>>   PRO, GDAL and OSGeoLive are considering to register DOI soon.
>>
>> As an example, this is the DOI for GRASS GIS:
>> https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.5810537
>> Hands on information how to register a DOI for a OSGeo project is
>> available here: https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Persistent_identifiers(pid).
>>
>> The Editors of the Springer Handbook agree that including DOI
>> references for Open Source projects is a win-win-scenario for the
>> audience of the upcoming Handbook and also the OSGeo project
>> communities. They have extended the production deadline until January
>> 20 to give additional software projects the opportunity to register a
>> DOI to be included in the book chapter.
>>
>> If the PostGIS project reserves or registers a DOI (takes only a few
>> minutes) before the deadline of January 20, I would gladly include it
>> in the Open Source Geoinformatics chapter reference section.
>>

>> Please let me know if you have any questions.
>>
>> Best,
>> Peter

> [...]

Jeff McKenna
GatewayGeo: Developers of MS4W, MapServer Consulting and Training
co-founder of FOSS4G
http://gatewaygeo.com/