[postgis-devel] ST_GeomFromMARC21 / ST_AsMARC21

Jim Jones jim.jones at uni-muenster.de
Thu Jan 20 07:50:25 PST 2022

Dear PostGIS developers,

Some time ago I wrote two tiny PostGIS related C functions for the
database of our university library. They basically create geometries
from MARC21/XML* records (ST_GeomFromMARC21[1]) and serialize geometries
as MARC21/XML records (ST_AsMARC1[2]), and they work pretty well for us :)

* MARC21 is a pretty old library standard to encode bibliographic data,
which often contain geographic information. The standard is maintained
by the Library of Congress (US).

I'm now wondering if these functions could be added to the PostGIS repo
(I would happily create a pull request), or if I should keep using it
locally in our cluster (or even the unpleasant alternative of creating
my own extension). In other words, before I take the trouble of making
the code/documentation "submission ready" I would like to hear your
thoughts. Would the PostGIS repo be the right place for these features?

Best,

Jim

1-
https://github.com/jimjonesbr/postgis/blob/b12eee02ac9842f4858057208e1c6980087999a7/postgis/lwgeom_in_marc21.c