[postgis-devel] postgis_letters in project tree?

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Wed Jan 26 13:39:13 PST 2022

I approve Bruce’s comments :) and would be cool to have more font offerings.

As noted in repo - https://git.osgeo.org/gitea/robe/postgis_letters

The kankin one came from https://www.fontfabric.com/fonts/kankin/

Which Bruce graciously converted to PostGIS geometries for me.

My only concern about lots of new functions in a separate extension is that could get very big and disorganized very fast.

I know a lot of people have written many extensions or stand-alone scripts.  E.g. Martin’s SVG library.

https://github.com/dr-jts/pg_svg

I was thinking it would make a lot of sense to combine that in with the letters one but name it something else. Not sure what an appropriate name would be.

I like the idea of each extension having a specific targeted focus, like the SVG, extensions for hydrology etc.

But I’m not sure that is too realistic to package all together in postgis.

Regarding the meeting. I was thinking about canceling the meeting as I couldn’t find a good time that works for everyone, but if people still think there is value in that, perhaps we can pick another day.  Maybe Friday just isn’t a good day.

Thanks,

Regina