[postgis-devel] postgis_letters in project tree?

Bruce Rindahl bruce.rindahl at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 08:15:07 PST 2022

A little history might help.
In the early 2000's before Google Maps, I built a mapping interface for the
State of Colorado called AquaMap.  It had WMS backgrounds and SVG for all
the vector elements and was based on the work done by Andreas Nueman and
others.  The client wanted to put a legal definition of a parcel into a
spreadsheet, upload it to a web map in SVG, and then allow the user to
manipulate the coordinates (snapping, rotation, etc.) via the browser over
existing parcels and the WMS background.  Then, and most importantly, they
wanted to save the altered SVG shape into the spatial database (PostGIS).
I wrote the javascript functions to convert SVG into a WKT format that was
then uploaded to the database.  It worked very well for years but the slow
adoption of SVG (Microsoft) meant the interface was eventually replaced by
other technologies.

My code lay dormant until Regina wanted to do letters :
https://www.postgresonline.com/journal/archives/293-Saying-Happy-Valentine-in-PostGIS.html
and
https://www.postgresonline.com/journal/archives/302-Word-Play-with-Spatial-SQL.html

I tweaked my code enough to give her the SQL commands to store the glyphs
in PostGIS.  Since then based on some requests from others I converted the
javascript to python.

Maybe the discussion should be about implementing a ST_GeomFomSVG function
instead