[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Get rid of micro in PostGIS Extension scripts (and comments from others)

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Wed Jul 6 10:09:37 PDT 2022

"Regina Obe" <lr at pcorp.us> writes:

> The problem with that solution is that it presumes you are overlaying
> installs.
> Many packagers (and people for that matter) uninstall the old version and
> then install the new.
> In pg_upgrade, there is NO old install.
>
> So you will not have a postgis--2.0.0--ANY.sql  lying around to use.

A very good point - indeed packaging systems have a manifest of what was
installed before and remove the old files.  I am not sure that is
always, but I would view a packaging system that left a
(non-user-configuration) file from a deinstalled package to be buggy.

It is absolutely not ok to expect that any files from a previous install
are present.

(I have not paged in the rest of the issues; I'm still behind processing
various geo updates after the pkgsrc freeze which just ended.)