[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Get rid of micro in PostGIS Extension scripts (and comments from others)

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Sun Jul 10 09:58:14 PDT 2022

> On Fri, Jul 08, 2022 at 10:17:40AM -0400, Regina Obe wrote:
>
> > > If we accept to tell users they need to use this to upgrade:
> > >
> > >   SELECT postgis_extensions_upgrade();
> > >
> > > We can then avoid ALL damn extra files except a single file
> > > installed by
> > > PostGIS-X.Y.Z:
> > >
> > >   postgis--ANY--X.Y.Z.sql
> > >
> > > This is already possible for upgrades from PostGIS-3.3.0 onward
> > > (3.3.0 introduced this support in `postgis_extensions_upgrade`)
> >
> > We already voted against that idea.  One reason is it doesn't work
> > across all systems. E.g. on cloud platforms where you are not allowed
> > to update system catalogs.
>
> I don't remember a vote but 3.3.0beta1 has it and master branch still has
it.

Vote passed here -
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/postgis-devel/2022-July/029705.html
I even begged you on irc to vote and you said you were too busy to be
bothered.

-- Regina Obe

> Was a ticket ever filed for this problem with cloud platforms ?
> Did anyone really confirm that issue ?

I confirmed it's an issue on Amazon RDS and I assume it will be on other
DbaaS with similar restrictions.  If it were part of the ALTER EXTENSION
machinery it would work, but because it's in a function called by the user,
it does not run under the super admin account.  I thought I had mentioned
this in dev mailing list when you asked in email thread, but can't find
that.

I did mention it in postgis-users, but I thought your idea would work
forgetting postgis_extensions_upgrade() is not run as part of ALTER
EXTENSION.

https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/postgis-users/2022-February/045294.html

At any rate I am fine with it staying since it will work for most users.

One crazy thought I had is you could change the version to ANY during the
CREATE EXTENSION process and also the ALTER EXTENSION process.  That way the
version would ALWAYS be ANY.   But that sounds too dirty and crazy, so
forget I said the above.  Just thinking out loud.

-- Regina Obe

> > Why is there no Changed notice in the postgis_extensions_upgrade
> > function for 3.3.0 (missing in both the .sql script and the docs) ?
>
> There is, in NEWS, section Enhancements of 3.3.0dev block:
>
>   - postgis_extensions_upgrade() support for upgrades from any PostGIS
>     version, including yet to be released ones (Sandro Santilli)
>
> --strk;

But it's not in the .sql script and the docs
https://postgis.net/docs//manual-3.3/PostGIS_Special_Functions_Index.html#Ne
wFunctions_3_3

-- Regina Obe