[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Get rid of micro in PostGIS Extension scripts (and comments from others)

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Wed Jun 8 10:06:02 PDT 2022

Behalf
> Of 'Sandro Santilli'
> Sent: Tuesday, June 7, 2022 6:01 PM
> To: PostGIS Development Discussion <postgis-devel at lists.osgeo.org>
> Subject: Re: [postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Get rid of micro in PostGIS
Extension
> scripts (and comments from others)
>
> On Tue, Jun 07, 2022 at 05:07:24PM -0400, Regina Obe wrote:
> > Sandro Santilli wrote:
> > >
> > > Current situation is that PostGIS-3.3.0 installs a upgrade script:
> > >
> > >   postgis--ANY--3.3.0.sql
> > >
> > > And a symlink (on UNIX derived systems) or copies (on systems NOT
> > > supporting symlinks) for each supported version, in the form:
> > >
> > >   postgis--${older}--ANY.sql -> postgis--ANY--3.3.0.sql
> >
> > I do not see any files being installed with postgis--${older}--ANY.sql
format.

> Sorry, I meant:
>
>   postgis--${older}--3.3.0.sql -> postgis--ANY-3.3.0.sql
>
> > I thought switching things to ANY was something you did by updating
> > the system catalogs, which is a no no on many DbaaS.
>
> That's a trick that allows upgrades without even having those symlinks,
but
> just the single target file (that we're already
> installing):
>
>   postgis--ANY--3.3.0.sql
>
> > > What would the 0-bytes layout be ?
> >
> > I thought I had described it well enough here:
> > https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/wiki/PostGISExtensionPaths#SOLUTION3
> >
> > What was unclear about that?  I think you said Paul had intended MAX so
> the X we might change to MAX to be clearer in intention.
>
> On the wiki you have files like:
>
>   postgis--3.0.0--3.3.X.sql (0 bytes)
>   postgis--3.3.X--3.3.0.sql (real upgrade)
>
> I find the naming confusing, wouldn't this be clearer if it was:
>
>   postgis--3.0.0--ANY.sql (0 bytes)
>   postgis--ANY--3.3.0.sql (real upgrade)
>
> We'd then be moving along the same track we are already on
>
> --strk;
I'm fine with that change. Only minor issues I see with this is:

1) postgis-3.0.0--ANY.sql and friends will be carried by both 3.3.0 and
3.4.0 releases.  Debian might have issue with this since I think they
package the scripts in a separate package.  But at least the files will all
be the same.

2) It leads one to believe that they can downgrade, though I think our
plumbing might already take care of this.
For example

If I install 3.5.1, and I am currently on 3.5.0, I can downgrade via below
path (haven't checked if we properly safe-guard against that)

ALTER EXTENSION POSTGIS UPDATE VERSION "3.4.0";
Which would go thru path
postgis--3.5.0--ANY.sql
postgis--ANY--3.4.0.sql

[Regina Obe]