[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Get rid of micro in PostGIS Extension scripts (and comments from others)

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Sat Jun 18 17:08:03 PDT 2022

> > > Current situation is that PostGIS-3.3.0 installs a upgrade script:
> > >
> > >   postgis--ANY--3.3.0.sql
> > >
> > > And a symlink (on UNIX derived systems) or copies (on systems NOT
> > > supporting symlinks) for each supported version, in the form:
> > >
> > >   postgis--${older}--ANY.sql -> postgis--ANY--3.3.0.sql
> >
> > I do not see any files being installed with postgis--${older}--ANY.sql
format.

> Sorry, I meant:
>
>   postgis--${older}--3.3.0.sql -> postgis--ANY-3.3.0.sql
>
> > I thought switching things to ANY was something you did by updating
> > the system catalogs, which is a no no on many DbaaS.
>
> That's a trick that allows upgrades without even having those symlinks,
but
> just the single target file (that we're already
> installing):
>
>   postgis--ANY--3.3.0.sql
>
> > > What would the 0-bytes layout be ?
> >
> > I thought I had described it well enough here:
> > https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/wiki/PostGISExtensionPaths#SOLUTION3
> >
> > What was unclear about that?  I think you said Paul had intended MAX so
> the X we might change to MAX to be clearer in intention.
>
> On the wiki you have files like:
>
>   postgis--3.0.0--3.3.X.sql (0 bytes)
>   postgis--3.3.X--3.3.0.sql (real upgrade)
>
> I find the naming confusing, wouldn't this be clearer if it was:
>
>   postgis--3.0.0--ANY.sql (0 bytes)
>   postgis--ANY--3.3.0.sql (real upgrade)
>
> We'd then be moving along the same track we are already on
>
> --strk;

I'd really like to move forward with this and NO I don't want an ANY as the
real file.
ANY should be like the others:

postgis--ANY--3.3.MAX.sql (0 bytes)

postgis--3.3.MAX.sql--3.3.0.sql (real upgrade)

to prevent duplication of scripts across minors and majors.  Note this still
has dupe of scripts, but it's only across micros so is acceptable since
micro updates are expected to overwrite scripts.

-- Regina Obe