[postgis-devel] manpages (was: PostGIS 3.3.0alpha1 released)

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Mon May 23 02:42:22 PDT 2022

On Mon, May 23, 2022 at 10:54:27AM +0200, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
> On 5/23/22 10:40, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> > Speaking of which, how do you deal with installing those man pages
> > in the correct directory in Debian, Bas ? Beacause I find installing
> > in PostgreSQL man path is somewhat ill.
>
> dh_installman does the right thing:
>
>  https://manpages.debian.org/unstable/debhelper/dh_installman.1.en.html
>
> Using the package control file:
>
> https://salsa.debian.org/debian-gis-team/postgis/-/blob/master/debian/postgis.manpages

Interesting, so completely done outside PostGIS core build scripts.
Any reason for raster2pgsql.1 not being submitted for inclusion
upstream ?

> CMake has CMAKE_INSTALL_MANDIR ...
> Autotools has its own magic variables ...

PostGIS doesn't use either of the above, just plain autoconf
(your "Autotools" link was for Automake).

I do know how to install man pages in the right place (honouring
--prefix and --mandir) was just wondering why we never got a complain
from packagers about our NOT doing that. Now I know Debian has its
own separate configuration for it.