[postgis-devel] PostGIS 3.3.0alpha1 released

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Tue May 24 12:36:46 PDT 2022

> On May 23, 2022, at 9:43 PM, Regina Obe <lr at pcorp.us> wrote:
>
> Speaking of which, pramsey, are you planning to do this in 3.3.0?

If people think it's critical. It's not really my Zen, but ...

I was wondering, as I worked on a side-project extension (where I don't put any version information on the .so file at all, and only version the scripts down to the minor level), why we push the patch number down into our scripts. I guess for any script-level functionality (like the old concave hull, and some other stuff) it's the only way to get fixes in place. But otherwise it's really quite pointless, since we keep the SQL API static across patch releases. And thus we get all those extra files, etc, etc, etc.

Feels like an impossible change, but on the other hand, we're a pretty staid and slow moving project at this point.