[postgis-devel] PostGIS 3.3.0alpha1 released

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Wed May 25 06:04:52 PDT 2022

> > It would mean we absolutely can't make script changes in micros, like
> > patching up things that aren't schema qualified, changing costs to fix
> > a bug, and changing our maintenance functions.  Which of course means
> > being more disciplined about it.  Something I'm not that good at, but
> > trying to be better.
>
> Well, it would mean that fixes would not be obtainable via in-place
upgrade,
> but we could put in fixes that would be accessible via dump'n'restore. So?

[Regina Obe]
I think that would get very confusing.  Better to just not have script fixes
at all in micros.

Most people I know only do dump n restore for testing against their
production systems.

So when upgrading most people I know are either doing a pg_upgrade (if they
have many databases or a largish database) or an in-place upgrade.  Neither
group would get the fix.

The other reason I'm fine with skipping micro fixes is a large group of
people are under the impression they don't need to run any function or
extension upgrade step after.