[postgis-devel] Upgrade paths (again)

Julien Rouhaud rjuju123 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 20:32:02 PDT 2022

On Wed, Sep 14, 2022 at 09:08:46PM +0200, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2022 at 10:52:14PM +0800, Julien Rouhaud wrote:
>
> > The big downside with that approach is that it only works if postgis has been
> > loaded in the backend
>
> This is a no-go.

Ok.

> > postgis_extensions_upgrade() function could be modified to make sure it first
> > load postgis
>
> It would be the OLD postgis_extension_upgrade() running so won't know
> which version of postgis shared object to load.

Well, if postgis_extension_upgrade() is recent enough to know it should load
the shared objects, the shared objects version it knows should already have the
needed hooks defined.  The problem is that it only helps with upgrades past
that point, as you need to have that new version of
postgis_extensions_upgrade() in the first place.  This problem would also exit
today if any change to postgis_extensions_upgrade() is needed, but I'm assuming
that the odds to need a change there are hopefully very low.