[postgis-devel] Coverage Functions

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Fri Apr 28 07:18:37 PDT 2023

On Tue, Apr 25, 2023 at 05:03:25PM -0700, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> The first coverage functions are ready to merge.
>
> https://github.com/postgis/postgis/pull/731/files

As mentioned in chat, I'm thinking having a GEOSCoverage
datatype would be advisible here, with one constructor
taking a vector of Geometry pointer for now but eventually
getting more constructors.

Validation could be performed in the constructor itself OR
delegated to the validator function. Simplification could be
a method taking that datatype, and possibly return again a
(simplified) GEOSCoverage from which one could derive a single
GEOSGeometry as the current proposed return from the simplification
function.

I've the feeling there will be more coverage-related functions,
that's why I'm suggesting to have a datatype for it.