[postgis-devel] Plan release PostGIS 3.4.0 this weekend

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Fri Aug 11 14:35:12 PDT 2023

"Regina Obe" <lr at pcorp.us> writes:

> I'm planning to release 3.4.0 later this weekend and create the stable-3.4
> branch today.

I had not gotten to test this (because of me, not because of postgis!),
but just did.

Nits:

  NEWS is not written in the form I expect in an RC; dev/beta1/beta2/rc1
  are separate, and this needs to be folded together.  My take is that
  in an RC the NEWS is in final form.  Would suggest adjusting to that
  and cutting rc2, which probably needs very cursory looking at by a
  few.

  I think the ANY change is #5092, but it's understated in NEWS and
  could use a louder statement about the change, and how since it's
  called under the covers you don't care.   But as a packager trying to
  make sure the new version isn't behaving oddly, it's a big deal.

It built ok, and there are two things I was not able to understand:

  bin/postgis exists now, but I don't see this in NEWS

  There's a lot of ANY, but still
     share/postgresql/extension/address_standardizer--1.0--${PKGVERSION}.sql
  vs for example
    +share/postgresql/extension/address_standardizer--2.0.0--ANY.sql
  and it is not clear why

Running tests, they are all ok until raster which causs pgsql to
segfault, but this is longstanding for postgis on NetBSD.

So other than my complaints above, which are not really serious, this
seems ok to release.