[postgis-devel] ./configure --disable-extension-upgrades-install

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Tue Jan 31 10:45:11 PST 2023

FYI I've committed support for a new configure switch,
documented by --help as:

  --disable-extension-upgrades-install
                          Disable automatic install of extension upgrade
                          scripts

When that switch is passed, you get a nice message at the
end of "make install" (if extensions are enabled) which goes:

  PostGIS extensions installed, upgrade scripts retained.

  You may use the postgis script to only install the ones you need, or
  you can install the ones required to upgrade from currently known
  versions with:

    make install-extension-upgrades-from-known-versions

Note that the install-extension-upgrades-from-known-versions target
currently installs 602 files, which are mostly useless, so moving on
I'd think we will want to change the default to NOT install it and
finally close https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/5092 but for now
I thought I'd keep the default behaviour unchanged until others step
up screaming to change it and save their disks by default.

Comments welcome.