[postgis-devel] [postgis-users] Error Upgrading PostGIS 2.5.4 to 3.1.2

Nikhil Shetty nikhil.dba04 at gmail.com
Tue May 9 03:29:13 PDT 2023

Hi Sandro,

I installed 3.1.5 but we are still having the same issue when upgrading

dbname=# alter extension postgis update ;
WARNING: unpackaging raster
WARNING: PostGIS Raster functionality has been unpackaged
HINT: type `SELECT postgis_extensions_upgrade();` to finish the upgrade.
After upgrading, if you want to drop raster, run: DROP EXTENSION
postgis_raster;
WARNING: Deprecated function
st_intersection_deprecated_by_postgis_301(geometry,geometry) left behind:
cannot drop function
st_intersection_deprecated_by_postgis_301(geometry,geometry) because other
objects depend on it
DETAIL: function s.st_disunion(geometry) depends on function
st_intersection_deprecated_by_postgis_301(geometry,geometry)
view <viewname> depends on function
st_intersection_deprecated_by_postgis_301(geometry,geometry)
HINT: Replace the view changing all occurrences of
st_intersection_deprecated_by_postgis_301(geometry,geometry) in its
definition with st_intersection(geometry,geometry) and upgrade again
ERROR: cannot drop function st_distance(geography,geography) because other
objects depend on it
DETAIL: materialized view <schemaname>.<viewname> depends on function
st_distance(geography,geography)
materialized view <schemaname>.<viewname> depends on function
st_distance(geography,geography)
materialized view <schemaname>.<viewname> depends on function
st_distance(geography,geography)
materialized view <schemaname>.<viewname> depends on function
st_distance(geography,geography)
materialized view <schemaname>.<viewname> depends on function
st_distance(geography,geography)
materialized view <schemaname>.<viewname> depends on function
st_distance(geography,geography)
materialized view <schemaname>.<viewname> depends on function
st_distance(geography,geography)
materialized view <schemaname>.<viewname> depends on function
st_distance(geography,geography)
materialized view <schemaname>.<viewname> depends on materialized view
<schemaname>.<viewname>
materialized view <schemaname>.<viewname> depends on materialized view
<schemaname>.<viewname>
materialized view <schemaname>.<viewname> depends on materialized view
<schemaname>.<viewname>
view <schemaname>.<viewname> depends on function
st_distance(geography,geography)
view <schemaname>.<viewname> depends on function
st_distance(geography,geography)
HINT: Use DROP ... CASCADE to drop the dependent objects too.

Thanks,
Nikhil