[postgis] JDBC driver for postgresql/postgis

Twan Kogels twan at twansoft.com
Tue Dec 11 11:55:35 PST 2001

There are actually jdbc drivers that offer connection poolings, these are
called 'pool drivers'. Using one of these are the easiest solution to
pooling database connection, cause you don't need to worry about anything,
pooling is done by the 'pool drivers'.

I've never used a pool driver, but some time ago i read a text about it.
Maybe a tip for a normal pooling package:
http://www.javaexchange.com

- Twan

At 09:02 11-12-2001 -0800, you wrote:
>I did not realize JDBC drivers had anything to do with connection
>pooling. I thought that was an aspect of some higher-level application
>server. JBOSS (http://www.jboss.org/) for example is an EJB container
>with connection pooling capabilities. The J2EE frameworks in general
>offer connection pooling, I think.
>
>Nicolas Ribot wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > We are currently working on a internet application project based on
> > PostgreSQL and postgis to deliver geographic information to end-users.
> >
> > This application will be (well, we hope so...) accessed by many users.
> > We are looking for an efficient JDBC driver for postgresql that could
> > support connection pool and distributed transactions.
> >
> > For the moment, I tested jxDBCon JDBC driver and the driver provided
> > with postgreSQL. But they don't implement connection pooling (as far as
> > I've seen).
> >
> > Do you know any project, even commercial one, developping such a driver
> > ?
> >
> > Thanx.
> > Nicolas Ribot & Jerome Gasperi

>--