[postgis] distance(geometry,geometry) function

Timothy H. Keitt tklistaddr at keittlab.bio.sunysb.edu
Tue Jul 24 16:06:40 PDT 2001

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

>Tim,
>
>Dave may want to add to this, but the approach of having a base geometry
>type is essentially inherited from the OpenGIS simple features geometry
>model.  In particular, for OGC simple features it is necessary to be
>able to mix geometry types within a given column in a given table.
>
>If we implement the full Simple Features for SQL metadata (via auxilary
>tables) there will be a mechanism to indicate that particular tables
>are restricted to a particular subtype in the total set of possible
>geometry types.

Sounds good.   I suspected that postgis was following some standard way
of doing things. (I just didn't know what it was.)

T.

--
Timothy H. Keitt
Department of Ecology and Evolution

Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption! Grab your copy of
VeriSign's FREE Guide "Securing Your Web Site for Business." Get it now!
http://www.verisign.com/cgi-bin/go.cgi?a=n094442340008000
http://us.click.yahoo.com/6lIgYB/IWxCAA/yigFAA/PhFolB/TM