[postgis] A demonstration (or better) client

James Macgill J.Macgill at geography.leeds.ac.uk
Tue Jul 31 07:50:57 PDT 2001

>On the basis for a client:
>Frank suggested:

>         -Geotools       Java

Just a quick note to let you know that we (the GeoTools team) have been
looking at postgis with quite a lot of interest.  We now have it installed
and are starting to play with it.  I hope to have a demonstration client up
and running quite soon so I'll let you know when we have an live demo running.

I should just explain why it has taken me so long to jump into this
discussion.  As well as being a researcher here at the Center for
Computational Geography I have also been a PhD student.  The last few
months have seen me working on writing the thesis up and that left me with
little spare time for any other work.  I finally handed in my thesis a
little over a week ago and promptly took a holiday to recover.  I'm back at
work full time now and although I have a lot of things to catch up on, I
should start to have a lot more time to dedicate to working on GeoTools.

As relatively new members of the OGC, a lot of work will be going into
supporting their standards, also until recently GeoTools has focused on
being a client only solution which read Shapfiles and other data
directly.  We are now looking at extending it to work well as a smart
client to server side solutions so postgis is an important project for us
to become involved with, especially as postgress is now our database of
choice within the group.

As I say I have a lot to catch up on and quite a bit of reading and playing
to do before I am up to speed on postgis but I hope to put some interesting
things together during the next few weeks.

Cheers

James.

--
James Macgill