[postgis] My postgres can not start???

Norman Vine nhv at cape.com
Thu Nov 8 21:25:40 PST 2001

Tony JIANG writes:

>But I can not change the directory's permssion with the chmod
>in the cygwin windows. It's weird.
>
>Is there anybody who has changed the permission before in
>cygwin? Or there is something other wrong causing this problem.

If you are on a FAT partition I do not know if you can change permissions
as there really aren't any

if you are on a NTSEC partition you need to log in as someone in
the local Admistrator group since the directory is owned by them
then see 'chmod --help'

The bigger question is why is the data directory in the Admistrator 's
home directory ?   Did you just install Cygwin for the Administrator
and not for everybody.  If so you will probably only be able to use
the database when logged in as the Administrator

The postgresql data directory is normally
/ usr / share / postgres-7.1.3 / data

Have you read
/ usr / docs / Cygwin / Postgress-4.1.3.README ???

Cheers

Norman