[postgis] How can I find which points are contained in a polygon?

Dave Blasby dblasby at refractions.net
Tue Oct 30 09:28:45 PST 2001

gregoryliapis at yahoo.gr wrote:
> PostgreSQL. My problem is that I need a query to find which cities
> (points) are contained in a specific country (polygon).

Right now, the best way to do this is with the distance() function.

OR, to also use the index as well;

<geom column> && BOX3D(<polygon>);

distance(point,polygon) will return 0 if the point is inside the
polygon.  If its right on the boundary it will either return 0 or a very
small number (due to precision).

dave

Get your FREE VeriSign guide to security solutions for your web site: encrypting transactions, securing intranets, and more!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/UnN2wB/m5_CAA/yigFAA/PhFolB/TM