[postgis] PostGIS Installations?

Ross.Searle Ross.Searle at dnr.qld.gov.au
Tue Sep 4 23:12:55 PDT 2001

Paul,

No real work as such yet but potentially quite a few applications. We
currently have a mapserver app used by staff to access cadastral and
vegetation information in order to administer some state legislation. The
area covers a large chunk of country. the datasets are large. The cadastral
(property) dataset is in the order of 700k records. We currently use tiled
shape files to enable access but if we can sort out postgis I hope to load
it all into postgres. This will make maintanence much easier and access
potentially faster.

Also have another app on the books which keeps a track of salinity outbreaks
in the state. Using a mapserver interface people can click on a location and
add details about the particular site. Using perl a new point is loaded into
postgres along with the info. The new location is hence able to be displayed
instantly ie live updating of the GIS data - heaps of potential this one

Unfortunately these apps are behind our firewall so I can't give you a look.

Hope this is of use

Ross