[postgis] Mapserver

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Wed Sep 19 16:26:58 PDT 2001

gispmpf at yahoo.com.br wrote:

> Where can i get more informations about the use of Mapserver with
> Postgis?

Hm. Well, the PostGIS documentation has a section on Mapserver, which
covers the PostGIS-specific elements of the problem. And the mapserver
site (http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/) has all the documentation on using
mapserver in general.

> I have a lot of quuestios  about it like:
> how can i define a Symbol to be use with te data of the geom field?

(I think) This is more of a Mapserver question. You can define all kinds
of symbols using a symbol table. Check out the (abstruse) mapserver
documentation.

> can i draw an image using the postgis geom field?

I am going to take a stab at this question ... if what I say makes no
sense, re-state your question, because I am not sure I know what you're
asking. Mapserver itself is an image-generation tool: it takes in GIS
data, some processing instructions about extents, styling details (line
weights, colors, fill colors, labelling), etc, and spits out a map
image. If you want to create a mapserver-style image from the command
line instead of via CGI, you can use the shp2img utility bundled with
Mapserver.

> Thanks
> João Mario L Brezolin
> GIS/Analyst