[postgis] WMS client / Community Map Builder project

Cameron Shorter cameron at shorter.net
Fri Sep 28 14:55:11 PDT 2001

Two things:

Web Map Server Client
=====================
1. With some help from others, I've just finished getting standard
Web Map Service (WMS) Client functionality into the geotools applet.
(It is
still needs polishing, but it works).
2. We've implemented double buffering, so that you can get immediate
feedback as you pan/zoom, and the map layers get redrawn as they become
available.
3. I have a demonstration which accesses 2 different Web Map Servers,
but you should be able to access as many as you like.
4. You can see a demo at:
http://newgate.socialchange.net.au:8080/geotools-dev/OGCExample.html

Community Map Builder Project
=============================
http://mapbuilder.sourceforge.net

Building the WMS client is just the first step in my grand plan of
building an open source map data entry tool - which essentially is a Web
Feature Server (WFS) Client - plus a little more.

I'm looking out for like minded developers, or people who just want to
be
keep informed.  I'm particularly interested to hear ideas about
developing Web Feature Servers (WFS) and whether this should be done
with PostGIS.

Check out the site and join one of the email lists if you are
interested.
http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=35246
Join the announce list if you want to be notified occasionally of
milestones in development.
Join the developers list if you want to join discussions about further
development.

--
Cameron Shorter          Web Mapping Manager
Social Change Online