[postgis-users] error executing psql -d mydb -f postgis.sql

Tyler Mitchell TMitchell at lignum.com
Thu Aug 1 08:08:38 PDT 2002

I'm not sure I follow exactly, but I've had lots of grief running
postgis.sql in the past...but now I understand enough to get it working
fine!  So be encouraged.  The biggest mistake I was making, or the thing I
found helped the most was being logged in as the same user for all steps:
-createdb
-createlang
-and the psql -f postgis.sql step too.
I'm usually doing it as root, but I don't think you need to.  Give it a
try: create a new db, etc. and see if it works for you.

Tyler

                      root <porfidia at anpa.it>
                      Sent by:                                To:       postgis-users at postgis.refractions.net
                      postgis-users-admin at postgis.refr        cc:
                      actions.net                             Fax to:
                                                              Subject:  [postgis-users] error executing psql -d mydb -f
                                                               postgis.sql
                      08/01/2002 08:04 AM
                      Please respond to postgis-users

Hi all
I'm newby of the list and postgis too
I installed Postgis on postgresql 7.2.1 (default installation from
tarball) and Red Hat7.2 and all worked fine till the command psql.......

It gives me this error
I took postgis.sql file from
/usr/local/pgsql/share/contrib/postgis.sql   and
in /usr/local/pgsql/bin I made ./psql -d mydb -f
/usr/local/share/contrib/postgis.sql  as postgres user
BEGIN
psql:/usr/local/pgsql/share/contrib/postgis.sql:772: ERROR:  argument
type geometry does not exist
psql:/usr/local/pgsql/share/contrib/postgis.sql:775: NOTICE:  current
transaction is aborted, queries ignored until end of transaction block
*ABORT STATE*
.
.
.
.
and  at the end
psql:/usr/local/pgsql/share/contrib/postgis.sql:1026: NOTICE:  current
transaction is aborted, queries ignored until end of transaction block
*ABORT STATE*
COMMIT
thus I checked all permissions and  chown to postgres user
I tried 0.7.1 dist and cvs snapshot dist but nothing change
Anybody can help me
Am i wrong
Am I right
oohh my god what have I done?