[postgis-users] RE: windows postgis installation

Hankley, Chip Chip.Hankley at GASAI.Com
Mon Aug 12 07:10:47 PDT 2002

Axel...

I'm forwarding this to the POSTGIS list. I would not count myself by any
stretch as an expert on running PostGIS on windows... I THINK you need gcc
installed, but someone else on the list should be able to confirm this.

FWIW, on the setup that worked for me, I did have gcc installed (you can see
all the stuff I installed w/ Cygwin at the top of
http://www.gasai.com/gisapps/WindowsHowTo.html

Chip

-----Original Message-----
From: Axel Schmidt [mailto:an-axel at web.de]
Sent: Monday, August 12, 2002 4:40 AM
To: Hankley, Chip
Subject: windows postgis installation

Hallo,
I followde your "NON-UNIX User’s Guide to Installing PostGIS on
Windows" but I can't install Postgis. PostgreSQL works I can create a DB und
create some tables.

There are some problems after:

./configure --enable-multibyte --with-CXX --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc
--docdir=/usr/doc/postgresql-$version
make

->
checking host system type... i686-pc-cygwin
checking which template to use... win
checking whether to build with locale support... no
checking whether to build with recode support... no
checking whether to build with multibyte character support... yes, default
SQL_A
SCII
checking whether NLS is wanted... no
checking for default port number... 5432
checking for default soft limit on number of connections... 32
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... Signal 127
no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
creat
e executables.

I must install a C compiler first ?

I want to test some client software (Openmap, mapserver, GisViewer).

Axel Schmidt