[postgis-users] Accessing PostGIS from ArcView

Vinko Vrsalovic vinko at cprsig.cl
Fri Aug 16 09:51:58 PDT 2002

On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 05:25:28PM +0100, Düster Horst wrote:
> The message below I found at the ESRI dicussion archive:
>
> ... It is possible to use Unix Shared Object Libraries using DLL and DLLProc
> classes of Avenue.
> I have a .so file compiled from C++ code using Solaris C++ compiler which I
> successfully used with Unix ArcView and Avenue.
> Initially, when I tried to use this, I got a NIL object returned by
> DLL.Make() method. This was because of the unresolved symbols in the library
> (which were shown when I used ldd -r command on the .so file). I linked the
> library again providing all the dependencies and it loaded fine. ...
>
> I believe it may be a problem of unresolved symbols too. When I use ldd -r
> libpq.so, I get a large list of unresolved symbols. I'm not a C-Programmer
> so I don't know exactly how I can link all these unresolved symbols.
>
> any hint???

You must recompile libpq.so against all the libraries that contain all
the symbols that are missing. To find which library contain which symbol
you could do something like strings -f <symbol> /usr/lib/* (and all
other directories where are libraries).

Then, you should add -l<library> for each library found to the compilation
command, and compile the library again.

--
Vinko Vrsalovic <vinko[|- at -|]cprsig.cl>
http://www.cprsig.cl