[postgis-users] Installation Question

Timothy H. Keitt tklistaddr at keittlab.bio.sunysb.edu
Sat Aug 24 14:13:47 PDT 2002

One solution posted to the list some time ago (by Bernhard Reiter) is to
use the existing postgresql source package to build postgis-enabled
debs. I've done this several times and works like a charm. What you do
is:

# once
apt-get install postgresql postgresql-dev dpkg-dev
apt-get build-dep postgresql

# when upgrading
apt-get source postgresql
cd postgresql-<version-just-downloaded>
./debian/rules config.cache

Now download and untar the postgis source so that it ends up in the
contrib directory in the postgresql source tree where you just used the
config.cache trick.

Then type:

dpkg-buildpackage

at the top of the source tree; you should now have compiled debs one
directory level up. You may want to give your packages a special
revision number, or else put a hold on them so they don't get
overwritten by apt (detailed somewhere in the Debian maintainer docs).

Cheers,
Tim

P.S. I usually have to search for Bernhard's old email on google
everytime I do this so I can remember the sequence. Maybe someone would
like to add this to the postgis docs!

T.