[postgis-users] error loading data using shp2pgsql

Steffen Macke sdteffen at web.de
Sun Aug 25 10:13:21 PDT 2002

> worked for testing.  The question is, why did shp2pgsql output '*'
> instead of '' for that column?  Here is the error I was originally getting:

Could you provide a small sample file? You can send it directly to
me in order to save traffic on the mailing list.

> This error is reproducible...it doesn't matter which shapefiles I
> load/drop/reload.  Am I dropping tables incorrectly?  Does the gc_pk

Maybe: AddGeometryColumn does not only add the geometry column
to the table but also inserts information on this column into the
table "geometry_columns". If you want to drop the table correctly,
you should also delete the matching row in geometry_columns, e.g.

delete from geometry_colums where f_table_name='yourtablename'

Specifying -d with shp2pgsql should drop the table correctly.

Steffen