[postgis-users] PostgreSQL/PostGIS as a bundled database

Norman Vine nhv at cape.com
Sun Dec 29 20:51:34 PST 2002

> On Saturday 28 December 2002 09:36, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
>
> >   o Currently on Windows a Postgres installation has to be built in the
> > Cygwin environment, right?  How much of that is required at run-time?  I am
> > hoping all we would need to include out of Cygwin in the install is one or
> > two runtime DLLs.  Are there required components of Postgres that would
> > depend on Cygwin shell scripts or external commands?
>
> Some of the DBA utilities, like initdb and createuser depend on shell scripts.
> Someone on the HACKERS list mentioned compiling a minimal install package for
> windows recently, I would suggest a quick peruse of the archive there.

If I was doing this I would install an uncrippled minimal Cygwin system
shellutils, fileutils, textutils, termcap, ssh, and perhaps a copy of perl or
python on the server machine as well as a Cygwin GDAL.

This and a basic PostGIS installation should still be under 50 MB and would
allow for secure remote administration and be very *flexible* and have the
tool chain in place that I find necessary to 'masage' the data both into and
out of PostGIS easily.

Cheers

Norman