[postgis] GML vs. WKT

Rob Hranac robhranac at vfny.org
Fri Feb 15 08:46:10 PST 2002

Guys,

Thanks for the helpful responses.

> Second, the PostGIS guys are by no means in "charge" of the WKT
> standard.  It is embedded in the various simple features standards and is
> unlikely to change.

Got it - this is the part about which I was unclear.  Unfortunately, my
general knowledge of OpenGIS standards postdates WKT.

> While the difference is unfortunate, as you say it only makes life
> *slightly* more complex for translator developers.  Also, no matter what
the
> extra effort required, the work in writing a WKT-to-GML translator is far
> less than in writing any <binary spatial format>-to-GML translator.

Yes, fair enough.  You know, I have actually already extended your Java
(JDBC) classes to make this conversion a little easier.  If you are
interested in having them, let me know and I will send them your way when I
get some time.  These probably solve the problem for many of your likely
users.

Best Regards,
Rob

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!