[postgis] Efficiency of a bounding box query vs distance()

thebanker95065 thebanker95065 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 25 22:36:38 PST 2002

Hello all!

I am relatively new to PostGIS, and I haven't found much on this, so
here goes--

Say I have built the GiST indexes on my table.  I am curious about
the efficiency of doing a query that checks to see everything inside
of a predetermined bounding box vs a query that does something
like 'where distance(the_geom,'POINT(x y)') <25'.  So basically a
circle radius vs a square box.  I know that there must be more
calculations going on using the distance function, but I'm curious if
it is worth it to search with a circular area vs a bounding box.  I
would think that a circular area is much more cpu intensive, and I
don't know if GiST indexes will help it.

I hope this makes sense to you all.

Thanks,

Grant

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!