[postgis] ClassCastException with PostGis Example

Silvio torodedutoesdraiato at yahoo.it
Tue Jan 8 07:47:24 PST 2002

Hi,

I have just installed PostGis with PostGreSql but the PostGis Example
doesn't work.

This is the example (http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/x441.html)

import java.sql.*;
  import java.util.*;
  import java.lang.*;
  import org.postgis.*;

  public class JavaGIS {
    public static void main(String[] args)
    {
      java.sql.Connection conn;
      try
      {
        /*
        * Load the JDBC driver and establish a connection.
        */
        Class.forName("org.postgresql.Driver");
        String url = "jdbc:postgresql://localhost:5432/database";
        conn = DriverManager.getConnection(url, "postgres", "");

        /*
        * Add the geometry types to the connection. Note that you
        * must cast the connection to the pgsql-specific connection *
implementation before calling the addDataType() method.
        */

((org.postgresql.Connection)conn).addDataType("geometry","org.postgis.PGgeom
etry");

((org.postgresql.Connection)conn).addDataType("box3d","org.postgis.PGbox3d")
;

    		  /*
        * Create a statement and execute a select query.
        */
        Statement s = conn.createStatement();
        ResultSet r = s.executeQuery("select AsText(geom) as geom,id from
geomtable");
        while( r.next() )
        {
          /*
          * Retrieve the geometry as an object then cast it to the geometry
type.
          * Print things out.
          */

          PGgeometry geom = (PGgeometry)r.getObject(1);
********************CAST ERROR*****************

          int id = r.getInt(2);
  		      System.out.println("Row " + id + ":");
          System.out.println(geom.toString());
        }
    		  s.close();
        conn.close();
      }
      catch( Exception e )
      {
        e.printStackTrace();
      }
    }
  }

The compiling phase is ok
After, when I try to run the class I get the following error:

java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.String
        at PostGis.main(PostGis.java:42)

(the error is referred to the line 42 where I have written "CAST ERROR")

I hope that somebody can help me!!

Thanks in advance.

Silvio B.

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!