[postgis] postgis 0.7?

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Fri Jan 11 08:36:37 PST 2002

The major re-design is linked to the integration of JTS code into
PostGIS. IE: we need a new db object structure (maybe) to most
efficiently use an external library of C++ geometry operators, which JTS
will be turned into. Since the JTS porting has not started yet, neither
has the redesign.

In any event, do not expect any great things from us over the next three
months -- Jan-Mar are the three months we make more consulting money
than any others, and that means everyone in the company is flat out on
billing projects. The money we make now supports us in the quiet times
doing things like free work on PostGIS.

If someone wants to volunteer, one obvious Thing To Do is a release
based on the code currently in CVS, which has numerous new features. The
items to do are: documenting all new functionality, creating an autoconf
mechanism for determining library locations (proj4) and flagging support
for library capabilities on or off, updating README etc. The difference
between CVS and release is that CVS code is guaranteed to work on Dave's
machine, while release code has to compile and install cleanly and
easily on as many other people's machines as possible (and have
meaningful instructions). Based on my past experience with getting a
consistent release out (and people have found inconsistencies even then)
it is about 4-5 full days of work. Since we promised the redesign in
0.7, it would be 0.6.3.

--
      __
     /