[postgis-users] SELECT AsSvg(the_geom) FROM myTable

Klaus Foerster klaus.foerster at uibk.ac.at
Wed Jul 31 01:10:17 PDT 2002

hi,

> It looks pretty simple. Am I right that polygons are not being handled
> any differently than lines?
you're right. You could even use curves, arcs, cubic or quadratic beziers or
elliptical arcs within path elements - http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/paths.html
for the whole story ...

> It looks like SVG is little more than some 'M's and the coordinates...
well, definitly - the papers at http://www.svgopen.org/ and you'll
show a lot more ;-)

> We would probably also want to break MULTI* geometries into their primitive
> parts and return them that way, yes?
if you're referring to GeometryN(geometry,int) or InteriorRingN(geometry,integer)
or similar OpenGIS functions - PostGIS can do that, the only thing left to do
from the SVG point of view is to deliver results as simple M's or maybe cx,cy ;-)

any comments on my last question? not implementing the whole thing, just
> > Do you think it is possible to implement a function like AsSvg() in the next release

Klaus