[postgis-users] Accessing PostGIS from ArcView

Armin Burger armin.burger at libero.it
Mon Jun 10 02:02:39 PDT 2002

Cedric,

> Have you tried to use this extension with ArcMap, I mean ArcGIS 8.1 or
8.2
> ?

The extension works only on ArcView 3, but maybe it could be used as
base concept to implement it for ArcGIS, e.g. in VB.

> You say you don't use ODBC but is your database is on the same system
than
> your
> AcrView software ? I mean do you use cygwin or such an emulator ?

> In this case, do you think it could work on a remote database
> configuration.
> I mean : data server PostGIS on Linux and Arcview on windows?

Yes, the database access of the extension uses the libpq.dll (I used the
one available at the Refractions site). With that you can access
Postgres servers running on Unix plattforms. The cygwin library is only
needed for the usage of the pgsql2shp program that was compiled under
cygwin. On the other hand, the extension runs not on ArcView for Unix
but should be fairly easy to adapt.

Armin