[postgis-users] GiST questions in 7.2

Chris Hodgson chodgson at refractions.net
Fri May 3 15:09:57 PDT 2002

Andy Turk wrote:

> Question #1: Is the syntax for creating a GiST index different in 7.2? I get
> syntax errors from psql when I append the "with (islossy)" clause. The index
> works just fine without it, however.

Yes, the "islossy" option seems to have disappeared (the indexes are always lossy
now).

> Question #2: In trying to create another index, I got the following error:
>
> ERROR:  MemoryContextAlloc: invalid request size 0
>
> This was also using a 7.2 system and a GiST index without the islossy clause.
> Is there a workaround for this? Also, what's the best way of recreating the
> error so that it's useful to the development team?

I have not seen this error before, and have been unable to recreate it. I have
created 2 indexes on the same geometry column, an index on each of two different
geometry columns (in one table) and indexes on two different columns in two
different tables - and did not encounter this error.

Are the tables full of data when you create the index? Do you get the same error
when they are not full of data? - if so, you could send me a snippet of sql that
recreates the problem (defines the tables and indexes), so that I can try to
recreate the problem. Also, our testing so far been done with 7.2.1 - it may be
an issue with the initial 7.2 release (which I would want to resolve).

Chris Hodgson