[postgis-users] Interest in open-source road data

Thomas, Cord cthomas at rand.org
Tue Nov 5 13:18:17 PST 2002

I think this sort of thing would be very useful.

A few questions and comments of usability, access, and implementation:

1 - Are there any open source community-based data gathering/improving
projects out there that this could be modelled from or folded into.

2 - Access - what kind of delivery mechanisms would there be -
  a - could you select subsets of data
  b - what server(s) would be responsible for delivering this data
  c - what data formats would be available - postgresql dumps, shapefiles,
ascii, etc.

3 - Implementation
  a - you could use some sort of common open source model as in what has
been done with linux- someone maintains the metadata (aka kernel - a
linus-person), while individuals maintain the integrity of types of data
(one person maintains interstate highway data, etc.), individual geographic
regions (one person maintains each state)
  b - a need for an agreed upon data conflict resolution model (if an
interstate moves, what happens to the local roads, and the other features,
like water).
  c - what happens when TIGER data is updated - where do we maintain the
link between TIGER and TIGER-OS

4 - Quality Assurance / Control
Similar to the module compilation for linux, your data would be submitted
for change by the public, and reviewed by the responsible person.
  - useful to have supporting documentation for each change - how did use
come about to change the data
  - useful to know if we are changing single sources more than once (are
different people visiting a particular shape more than once) and if so, are
subsequent visits using more accurate info
  - is it proposed that spatial information could also be modified.  while
TIGEr may have a scale-accuracy of 1:24,000 or whatever it is, would the
goal be to eventually improve TIGER data using local orthophoto-derived
landbase information, GPS surveys, etc.?

All these comments/questions aside, i think having a TIGER-derived database
available from which one could select data (all roads from state of X, or
all data from this town and all towns surrounding it) and have it made
available on an FTP server would be very very useful.  As it is, grabbing
data from TIGER and manipulating it everytime for small projects can eat up
considerable time.

Cord