[postgis-users] alpha GT2 Web Map Server with PostGIS support

James Macgill j.macgill at geography.leeds.ac.uk
Fri Nov 22 00:59:03 PST 2002

Hi all

This is a quick shout for some testers with PostGIS experience, I have just
put a ready built copy of the GT2 wmsserver module onto the sourceforge
file section for download.

The download consists of a single war (web archive) that you should be able
to drop into your favorite servlet engine and start serving maps.

You can download it from:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/geotools/wmsserver.war?download

The current code supports Shapefile and PostGIS datasources, the others
(GML, MapInfo etc) should be easy to add so expect them soon.

Once you have the war file installed you should be able to open the index
page with something like: http://localhost:8080/wmsserver/
And see a sample page with some maps in it and some instructions.

When unpacked you will find a number of files, the layers.xml is the main
config file whilst the styles and maps folders contain the sample data that
can be mapped out of the box.  You will find an example layer definition
for a PostGIS layer in the layers.xml file, you should just need to plug
values for your db into it.

The wmsserver module is experimental and will not remain within the GT2
codebase long term as it falls outside the remit of 'toolkit' though it may
become a project in its own right in the future.

Its a useful thing to put out however as, if you take a look at the source
code, you will see examples of how datasources, rendering, filtering and
styling work.  You can find the source code on CVS or on the
gt2-src-snapshot.tar.gz nightly archive if you look in
geotools2/geotools-src/wmsmodule/src

It would be great to hear from people who do manage install it and also any
problems from people who can't.  It's not been tested against very many
PostGIS databases yet so I'm particularly interested in feedback from
members of this list.

All the best

James

--