[postgis-users] OGR2OGR Uppercase/Lowercase

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Oct 4 05:36:55 PDT 2002

Düster Horst wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm faced with an uppercase/lowercase problem. After shape file import to
> Postgresql with OGR2OGR all shape file based column names were stored
> uppercase. Postgresql isn't able to process columns with uppercase names.
> How to handle this problem? Any hint????

Düster,

I would suggest re-ipmorting them overriding the layer name with the lower
case equivelent.  Something like:

ogr2ogr PG:dbname=warmerda ABC.SHP -nln abc ABC

I think I will need to add a creation option to "launder" layer names into
something easier to use in PostgreSQL.  There have been complaints before.

Incidently, you can still use the tables in PostgreSQL with upper case names
... you would just need to quote the names appropriately.

Best regards,