[postgis-users] Anyone know where MapServer.gis.umn.edu is?

Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au
Wed Oct 16 21:42:17 PDT 2002

And here's an announcement...

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Lime [mailto:steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us]
Sent: Thursday, 17 October 2002 2:06 AM
Subject: Status of MapServer website/list/...

Hi Folks: I found an old list of MapServer users and figured it was
about time that someone let folks know what's up. As I understand it
several machines at the UMN were used in a DoS attack- they were hacked.
As a result those machines were taken off the network, analyzed and are
in the process of being brought back online. One of the affected
machines was mapserver.gis.umn.edu which hosts amongst other things the
website, mailing list and CVS services. In talking with the sysad over
at the UMN that should be sometime tomorrow.

Anyone can be hacked (this was not an exploit of the MapServer software
itself) and once back up we will talk about replicating services so that
won't happen again, at least not with this duration.

The MapServer project is alive and well, please be patient for another
day or so.

Thanks- Steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager