[postgis-users] Mapinfo and PostgreSQL/PostGIS

Juanse georef at tie.cl
Thu Oct 17 19:46:45 PDT 2002

Hi everyone

I am a new kid on the block. In this case from Chile, in reality temuko. You can check better (and hopefully improving) at www.protic.cl:81 right at the centre. This is our first experience with the open source possibility Red hat/Apache/Postgre/Postgis/Mapserver/PHP ...

Our work comes from Mapinfo / Access. We are in "cagada" of migration. testing, testing.

Well this is to say hello and drop our first question, probably more on the side of mapinfo than on postgis, and most probably in ogr2ogr.

Q.1
I have this table of polygons in mapinfo, lets call it "Localidades"
I did an ogr2ogr to load it at postgis.
the wkb_geometry field ended empty and cannot load the table in mapserver.

back in mapinfo:
if i select the object in the table based on objectgeometry = region i only get 1195 object out of 1558 elements
but if i update a newcolumn wkb_geometry with srt$(objectinfo(obj,1) i get the 1558 object with a 7 ie. regions

the nonselected elements are there, both in the map and in the database, they are editable

any clues?

Q2. Can i repeat the analysis of http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-users/2001-September/000316.html but a year later with Mapinfo or onother Opensource project in mind? Which is the estate of the art in using postgrreSQL/postGis as a spatial backend for Mapinfo? or Which Opensource frontend is better able to replace Mapinfo? Or simpler I want lots of people drawing at the same time over the same set of spatial data, directions please.

Q3. Any one knows directions to work, people trying to integrate Mapserver with X25 APRS protocols to do vehicle tracking over the internet?

Juanse
temuko-chile

---