[postgis-users] Greetings, and road data questions

Roger Bedell roger at sylvanmaps.com
Fri Oct 18 12:11:31 PDT 2002

Michael,
I've been doing this a long time (not PostGIS, but for AutoCAD, SHP, DGN
etc), and here are some observations:

(1)  How are others using the tiger/line data?  Are they mostly doing
     what I plan, or is there an easier way that I'm overlooking?

I split it into smaller pieces, but that was more useful before PostGIS.
Today, I'd do it like you plan.

(2)  Garmin and others have fairly detailed maps, both as a windoze
     application and as a GPS product.  Where do they get their data?

Probably either TIGER, or a private deal like GDT, NavTech, Teleatlas.

(3)  I know of USGS sources of data (the infamous DLG files) -- are
     they more or less correct than the tiger/line data?  How about
     ease of use?

DLG files have very limited attributes, like no road names. The 100K DLG
files were the basis of TIGER in rural areas. TIGER uses the lame DIME
files in urban areas, very inaccurate center lines.

The 24K DLGs are quite accurate, but old. Also, only about 40% coverage
of the US.

(4)  If you wanted to write a mapping application that would track
     multiple objects and show both an overview map of where they are,
     and detailed maps for each, would you use tiger/line or DLG, or
     something entirely different?

You could split out the major roads from TIGER, that works ok - see
www.sylvanmaps.net/dbs/dbs.asp (this is not an ad, just an
illustration).

(5)  Are there sources of other street data available, such as for
     Mexico, Canada, and other countries?  If this project of mine
     becomes a product, I'd be interested in avoiding remaining too
     US-centric.

Right - possibly Canada, possibly the UK, but otherwise it's pretty bad.

Roger Bedell, President, Sylvan Ascent Inc.
roger at sylvanmaps.com
www.sylvanmaps.com
www.topodepot.com
505-758-7712