[postgis-users] Eliminating USE_PG72

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Tue Sep 3 09:39:17 PDT 2002

Chris Hodgson wrote:

> - you still need to do the version check in the makefile, and set the
> variable to #ifdef on, so it doesn't really clean up the makefile that much

Have you looked at the Makefile lately? :) It's got a whole bunch of
if/else constructs in it which do nothing except provide switches for
the USE_PG72 thing. Doing a -D define would clean a bunch of that noise up.

> However, I suppose a cleaner solution would be to always compile both files,
> and just #ifdef out the entire file if it is the wrong version... this keeps
> the old stuff in its own file, and allows for a somewhat nicer makefile.
>
> I can go ahead and do that if you want...

I think that would be nice. Something like -DGIST_VERSION=7.2 so that if
we get yet another GIST API change we can "just" add another block of
bindings.

--
       __
      /