[postgis-users] 3D WKB Geometries

Dave Blasby dblasby at refractions.net
Wed Sep 11 10:19:07 PDT 2002

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> I have discovered the WKB "Z" mask for geometry types is supposed to be
> 0x80000000 not 0x8000 as has been used in the past in OGR and PostGIS.  The
> matter was pointed out to me by Martin Daly at Cadcorp.   If you review the
> document (http://gdal.velocet.ca/projects/opengis/twohalfdsf.html) or the real
> document at OGC (99-402) you will see this.
>
> Assuming no one knows a good reason we shouldn't fix this bug I would like to
> see it corrected in the next release of OGR and PostGIS.  Can anyone thing of
> other OGC WKB 2.5D supporting software that might have this issue?

I'm a bit worried about doing this - it could cause versioning problems
with
application software.  I.e. The new version of postgis/OGR will not work
with old
versions of application XYZ (no pun intended).

The mapserver<->postgis connect always requests geometries in 2d so
there
shouldnt be any problems there.

Is this going to affect anyone's code?

dave