[postgis-users] 3D WKB Geometries

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Sep 12 07:47:30 PDT 2002

Dave Blasby wrote:
> I'm a bit worried about doing this - it could cause versioning problems
> with
> application software.  I.e. The new version of postgis/OGR will not work
> with old
> versions of application XYZ (no pun intended).

Dave,

This could be an issue but depends in large part on the number of
applications that operate on WKB from/to PostGIS, and whether those
actually support 3D (well 2.5D).

In the case of OGR it isn't much of an issue as WKB is primarily
just used in implementing the Simple Features for OLEDB specification.
Even for PostGIS OGR is still using WKT (despite the performance issues
that implies).

In any event, I would like to follow the spec accurately in all implementing
code if possible.  I would also note that the document (99-402) was apparently
adopted back in 1999 so it is more than just a suggestion, it is formally
adopted by OGC with the intention of incorporating into the next Simple
Features specification.

Best regards,