[postgis-users] Zero-based indexing

David Blasby dblasby at refractions.net
Thu Apr 10 10:29:36 PDT 2003

I've noticed that JTS (and GEOS) uses 0-based indexing.  I.e.
getGeometryN(), pointN(), getInteriorRingN() - the first "thing" is 0.
PostGIS also follows this convention.

Unfortunately, the OGC SF SQL conformance test uses 1-based indexing.
 pointN(1) is the first point.

I looked in the SF SQL specification, and it doesnt specify which to
use.  Does anyone have a reference to say that 0-based indexing is
correct?  The conformance test is filled with errors so I dont trust it.

dave
ps. yes, this means that we are getting close to having postgis pass the
conformance tests.