[postgis-users] What street-level database are you using?

Bruce Saunders brucesaunders at maximus.com
Mon Dec 1 01:28:44 PST 2003

We  also looked into using NavTech data, but have (for now) stuck with
the TIGER files.  The primary consideration for the NavTech data was to
get the details to perform routing (one way streets, turn restrictions,
etc).  I think the other providers (TeleAtlas and GDT) have these
details as well.  For now, we've decided to go without the ability to
calculate routes.

IMHO, I think that the TIGER data is pretty good for most general
purpose geocoding.  Now if you are trying to send an ambulance
somewhere... Well, I hope you are using the best comercial data.

Mind if I ask what kind of "fuzzy-string" base geocoding you are
performing?  I've precomputed double metaphones for the TIGER data we
are using and search off of that (then score the results with a variety
of different weighting algorithms).  At the time of initial
implementation, I didn't see any obvious "fuzzy-string" operators.  Are
you just doing regular expression searches, or something more
elaborate?  We will be conducting some performance tests in the coming
weeks... If I get permission, I'll post the results to the group.

-Bruce