[postgis-users] PostGIS Usage Survey

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Mon Feb 3 15:49:44 PST 2003

For example, here is a reply from us :)

--

We are Refractions Research, and we used PostGIS to complete a spatial
data processing contract for a government client here in British Columbia.

The project was to create DEM rasters for the whole province, starting
from a TIN. The challenge was to manage the process of creating the
raster files, and to apply some corrections to "flat" areas of the
province (lakes and oceans). We stored all the lakes and ocean polygons
in PostGIS, generated averages elevations for them by masking them onto
the rasters, and applied those elevations back onto the raster to create
corrected data. We also stored all the grid file extents, and used that
data control the generation of the DEM files.

We used a number of interfaces to the database, but primarily perl and
libpq. All the automatic raster data processing work was based on perl
batch scripts running against data in the database and then spawing
other C programs to do the work.

We chose PostGIS because it was a very tractable tool. We could easily
write custom client apps to pull and push data into it and of course it
was fast Fast FAst FAST.

In the end, we created several cuts of raster DEM products, hillshades,
aspect grids, slope grids, in three projections and two formats. Total
data volume of over 150Gb.

--

--
       __