[postgis-users] Modelling Options

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Mon Feb 3 20:48:48 PST 2003

Hisaji Ono wrote:
> Could you tell me where is [HACKERS] 's maling list archive?

However, the posting in question has not appeared there yet.
I have pasted in the content from the original posting below.

--
Joe Conway <mail at joeconway.com> wrote:

I'm nearing completioHisaji Ono wrote:
However, the posting in question has not appeared there yet.
I have pasted in the content from the original posting below.

--
Joe Conway <mail at joeconway.com> wrote:

I'm nearing completion of a new procedural language, PL/R. It provides
an interface to the R Statistical Computing language. R is similar to
the commercial package S-Plus; for more on R see:
   http://www.r-project.org/

Here is the first paragraph of their intro:

"R is a language and environment for statistical computing and graphics.
It is a GNU project which is similar to the S language and environment
which was developed at Bell Laboratories (formerly AT&T, now Lucent
Technologies) by John Chambers and colleagues. R can be considered as a
different implementation of S. There are some important differences, but
much code written for S runs unaltered under R."

Before I post the source somewhere, I have a few questions:

1) R itself is under GPL, and as far as I can tell the shared library
libR.so is also under GPL, not LGPL. I assume that means I need to
release plr under GPL -- does that sound correct?

2) Knowing the trend to move stuff *out* of the PostgreSQL source
tarball, and assuming plr is released under GPL, is there any chance
that it would be accepted into src/pl or contrib, or should I start a
gborg project (I'd prefer if it could at least live in contrib)? If I am
somehow able to release it under a BSD license, would that change the
answer (if so, I'll at least ask the r-devel list about LGPL on the
shared library)?

3) The only major feature not yet developed is the ability to handle
triggers. Any strong feelings on whether this is necessary for a first
release? I see that pl/perl doesn't handle triggers. It seems like using
a plpgsql trigger to call a plr function is a reasonable workaround.

Thanks for any thoughts or comments.

Joe

--
       __
      /
      | Paul Ramsey
      | Refractions Research
      | Email: pramsey at refractions.net
      | Phone: (250) 885-0632
      \_
n of a new procedural language, PL/R. It provides
an interface to the R Statistical Computing language. R is similar to
the commercial package S-Plus; for more on R see:
   http://www.r-project.org/

Here is the first paragraph of their intro:

"R is a language and environment for statistical computing and graphics.
It is a GNU project which is similar to the S language and environment
which was developed at Bell Laboratories (formerly AT&T, now Lucent
Technologies) by John Chambers and colleagues. R can be considered as a
different implementation of S. There are some important differences, but
much code written for S runs unaltered under R."

Before I post the source somewhere, I have a few questions:

1) R itself is under GPL, and as far as I can tell the shared library
libR.so is also under GPL, not LGPL. I assume that means I need to
release plr under GPL -- does that sound correct?

2) Knowing the trend to move stuff *out* of the PostgreSQL source
tarball, and assuming plr is released under GPL, is there any chance
that it would be accepted into src/pl or contrib, or should I start a
gborg project (I'd prefer if it could at least live in contrib)? If I am
somehow able to release it under a BSD license, would that change the
answer (if so, I'll at least ask the r-devel list about LGPL on the
shared library)?

3) The only major feature not yet developed is the ability to handle
triggers. Any strong feelings on whether this is necessary for a first
release? I see that pl/perl doesn't handle triggers. It seems like using
a plpgsql trigger to call a plr function is a reasonable workaround.

Thanks for any thoughts or comments.

Joe

--
       __